


It's becoming an annual tradition I think to go camping with the Johnson family each year. Our first trip together was Memorial Day 2009 at Vail Lake Resort. This year, we spent Labor Day together at Outdoor Resorts in Aguanga.
It was so hot!! But it was a lot of fun. Oliver and Emily had the time of their lives dancing together, jumping in the bounce house, swimming and riding bikes. It's so sweet to see the bond that is developing between these two as they grow older and share their adventures together.
Sunday was the big Labor Day Luau, complete with Hawaiian dinner and show. Now we all know what this kind of event looks like, so no need to explain further. What was more interesting about that night's festivities was the ride home. Before we get too far into it, I should explain that the trailer rental came with a golf cart that was large enough to tote all four adults and four kids around for the weekend.
During nap time, Joe and Brian and then Jennifer and I took a cruise around the camp ground to look at the lots and admire the RV's. Well, when Jennifer and I got back from our drive, I forgot to plug the golf cart back in so it could charge. I should have realized that the battery was getting low because while Jennifer and I were driving around, the golf cart would shake a little, but I assumed that was just a rough patch we hit in the road. I had no idea the battery was dying at that point.
So, after dinner, we adults with a couple free cocktails in, two sleepy babies and two toddlers with sore feet from dancing the hula, all headed home on the golf cart. The cart began to shake and again I thought, oh, keep going, that's just a rough spot. That was until the lights faded to off on the golf cart and it began to slow down. It was at that point I realized the bettery was dying, mostly because someone drove by and said - uh oh, battery is dying. Oh and I forgot to mention that Brian had brought their stroller with us - not folded up and stored on the golf cart, but he rolled it behind the cart to the Luau.
As the battery was dying and the lights were now dead, Joe started a downhill descent and thought, this is great, we can coast home. Well, he was unable to see the approaching speed bump in the road. The golf cart hit the speed bump, the stroller and everything in it went flying. Poor Emily got knocked in the head with a camera, and the once quiet street was now busier than ever suddenly with passer-byers watching the whole thing happen.
It was quite an unfortunate situation that ended with Jennifer pushing the stroller with Kinley, carrying Henry. Oliver and Emily sat in the back of the cart while I steared and Brian and Joe pushed the dead golf cart. Right at the end the cart got a little juice back and I was able to drive the cart home. However, Brian had to run and jump on to keep the kiddos from flying off the back of the golf cart. The entire drive home everyone was praying Barbara, the trailer owner, would not drive by and catch us being "irresponsible" with her golf cart.
Not exactly the end to our evening that we had anticipated, but looking back it was quite funny and I am sure when we talk about it at next year's camping trip, it will be even more hilarious.
No comments:
Post a Comment