Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving and Birthday Party

We just finished a round of hosting parties - Thanksgiving and Oliver's 3rd Birthday. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work to do both in the same weekend.

What I'm about to say may seem out of left field, but I was watching Glee last night and one of the characters was signing a song from Evita. The song reminded me of driving around with one of closest friends in high school listening to the Evita sound track. I then started thinking about how life has taken us on a long, lovely journey from those care-free days in high school.

My friend now has three children and I was looking at her Face Book page and her oldest was nine years old yesterday. I remember maybe a year or two after she had her daughter, meeting her for lunch and she brought her beautiful little girl, and I thought then it was such a different world she was living in from mine. But here we are a few years later and Joe and I have two children of our own.

All this to say that in remembering all these things from watching Kurt on Glee, I am amazed to think about the plans God has had for my friend's life, and for mine. It's such a wonderful thing to see where we used to be, and where God has brought us, and where He will take us as the years go by. The time has certainly passed quickly from the days in high school, but looking back every event has been beautiful and amazing when I see in the context of where God was taking me and Joe through each experience.

I was thinking the other day about what my Oliver would tell me if I asked him what he wants to be where when he grows up, probably something along the lines of a pirate, or Woody. And then I thought, what would I want for him to be - first thought, a Christ-Follower more than anything in me, is my greatest desire for him and Henry. Second, content came to mind. I hope my boys grow up to be content with where God leads them in life, in who they become and the blessings they experience, and even the challenges they will face that will shape them and take them to where God has planned to use them the most.

God has been so gracious to Joe and I and has blessed our lives in ways I know we have never and can never deserve. In reflecting on Thanksgiving, I can feel mostly honest is saying, sure a new shirt would be nice, or some curtains for my living room, but when I really examine how my life has been blessed, I can feel content and overwhelmingly thankful for all that God has given us. Not to say I don't have my selfish moments, I would be lying if I said I didn't. But I just hope that someday Oliver and Henry will examine their lives and feel the same contentedness, joy, and gratefulness to our Lord that I feel now.







No comments:

Post a Comment