"But Mary was keeping within herself all these things weighing and pondering them in her heart."
Luke 2:19
This is the key verse from my daily devotional this morning. I've always loved this verse and never realized how special it is until I became a mother. Imagine being Mary, having gone through everything she had, being told she was going to give birth to the Savior by an angel, facing persecution because she was pregnant out of wedlock, being married to Joseph, and later swept off to Bethlehem while very pregnant. Then it all culminated in the birth of her son in a manger, surrounded by animals and lots of hay and dirt. I remember being stressed about delivering Henry in our local hospital because it doesn't have the greatest reputation. I can't imagine having to do it in a stable.
When I first had my children, I remember trying to study their faces and their little features, thinking to myself that someday I might forget those moments. But imagine being Mary, giving birth to the Savior of the world, knowing that the life your little one is about to live is not going to be an easy one and not knowing what the future holds for him, but knowing that it's going to be incredible. I can only wonder what things were going through her mind with everything going on around her. Not only did she have wise men and shepherds showing up at her door, but the Heavens around her were rejoicing and the fate of the entire universe was being affected by the baby she held in her arms.
My daily devotional goes on to talk about the business of the holiday season and reminds us to slow down and ponder like Mary did. It says, "Weighing and pondering. Could we do the same? Could we dare find calm in the Christmas chaos? A holy hush among the hustle? More importantly, could we model for the wide-eyed kids in our lives just how to slow down and, like the Wise Men of old, actually look for the Savior?"
After reading this, I feel fired. I haven't done a good job of showing my kids what Christmas is all about. I have taken them to Disneyland to see the snow, waited in line for Santa a couple times, and ran around with them gathering presents for the family. Not that there is anything wrong with doing any of those things. They are all part of my children's memories and I wouldn't change it. But in considering there is one more week left before Christmas is here, this is a good reminder to slow down and spend the time left really pondering and contemplating the amazing gift of Christ, born to save us and love us for all eternity. It's time to put my focus back on Jesus and help my children really see and understand the Christ in Christmas. Cheesy, I know, but true.
No comments:
Post a Comment